Smart Choice – Managed Security
2021 is the year where the smart choice for Australian SME’s is to protect against the growth of
cybercriminal activity is by implementing an outsourced Security Service. Small to medium businesses do not have the technical resources and knowledge to stay abreast of the evolving security challenges.
Ransomware, Phishing attacks are growing as one of the biggest risks to SME businesses. Barracuda (IT security
vendor) recently reported that 71% of all phishing attacks include malicious URL’s. The Phishing category of attacks covers emails that attempt the following: Brand impersonation, Forms, Attachments, and spear phishing aims to steal sensitive information such as login credentials or financial details.
Other categories of threats include Business Email Compromise (BEC) also identified as whaling attacks. In this category Hackers are impersonating an employee, a vendor or other trusted individual for financial gain. They
are look ing to induce a Wire transfer to an illegal account, compromise payroll runs by requesting an account change, hijack a conversation by impersonation of a vendor/supplier resulting in a request for payment. The last type is by impersonating a domain through typo squatting.
Barracuda recently reported that in 2020 BEC attacks were the fastest growing and now represent around 12% of all spear phishing attacks.
A survey completed by the Australian Cyber Security Centre in 2019 found that most SMEs know they are exposed to cybersecurity risk, but
they don’t really understand the underlying threat s or the vulnerabilities leading to that risk. Meaning that most SMEs don’t understand how cybersecurity risk translates into business risk.
Without a realistic understanding of the
risks they face, SMEs are unlikely to make a smart choice to address that risk. The smart est is to engage an organisation such as Computer Troubleshooters on a monthly fee to implement, monitor and maintain their security defence against a cyber incident.
The process employed by your local Computer Troubleshooters is an initial assessment/discovery meeting. This may involve a
complete overview of your IT structure using some highly sophisticated software that sits on your infrastructure for a short period of time that collects information that is then compil ed into a report that outlin es the health of your IT infrastructure as well as your security vulnerabilities. If you do not proceed with your local Computer Troubleshooters, then the software is removed.
Some areas of major pain areas for businesses are:
- Protecting email inboxes against spam and viruses.
- Blocking phishing and r
anso mware attacks.
- Effectively configuring/managing 2 factor authentication.
- Password management and updating of passwords in accordance with policy.
- Protecting devices that are mobile such as laptops, smartphones and tablets all storing sensitive company data.
- Protecting against data loss through backup such as backing up email, restricting the copying and saving of business information on unauthorised devices.
- Controlling access to business information especially on shared documents. Increasing during this peak period of remote working.
- Implementing multiple layers of access to sensitive documents, example using pin numbers.
- Keeping all security endpoint software and operating systems up to date and consistent across all users of an organisation. (Patch management)
- Receiving quick and reliable support when required.
All of the above can be addressed through the
security, managed service , support options available at our local Computer Troubleshooters. In essence if your connected then you need protection. With protection you can be assured we are monitoring , acting before you know anything , meaning your business remains connected.